Brussel Sprout Slaw (With Bacon!)
OK! Yes, I said Bacon! I had a Chef in culinary school who always said, “Vegetables have no nutrition if no one will eat them!” This one’s going out to him – xo
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ½-1 cup nitrate free bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, agave, or honey
- Toast pecans by roasting in a 350 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, trim Brussels sprouts and very thinly slice with a knife or use the sliding disc on your food processor to thinly shred.
- Add sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and shallot and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add Brussels sprouts, stir, and cover. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and add sauce, pecans, and bacon. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes more, stirring occasionally, or until Brussels sprouts are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Serve warm and top with grilled chicken or shrimp if desired.